Unlike the commercial brands of lipstick and lip gloss sold from cosmetic counters, this recipe for a homemade lip gloss is made from natural ingredients that will not cause allergy and keep your lips shiny and moisturized all day.
For the solid ingredients, prepare the following:
- 2 tablespoons beeswax
- 1/2 ounce cocoa butter
- 1/2 ounce Shea butter
- 1/2 ounce hemp seed butter
If hemp seed butter is not available commercially, then you can make it by mixing half an ounce of Shea Butter to 1 teaspoon of hemp seed oil.
Next, prepare the following liquid ingredients:
Tools and Supplies
For the tools and materials to use, prepare the following:
- A table spoon or a scoop for a tablespoon measurement
- Large measuring cup made of glass or any microwavable material
- A microwave oven or double boiler
- A digital scale
- 10 pieces of 1/4 oz. plastic jars with lids
- A glass dropper or 3 ml graduated transfer pipettes
Steps to Make All-Natural Homemade Lip Gloss
- Place the beeswax in the measuring cup. Measure the cocoa butter as indicated and add to the Pyrex cup. Next, measure the hemp seed and Shea butters as directed and add them into the glass.
- Melt all the butters at medium heat in a double boiler or microwave. Make sure they’re completely melted. If necessary, let the glass cup remain in the microwave for an additional 30 seconds. Stir the contents of the cup well to thicken the mixture.
- Then, take the avocado and wheat germ oils and slowly pour them into the mixture as you stir. Use a pipette to measure each of the Jojoba and Vitamin E oils as indicated. Gradually add the oils into the mixture as you stir it.
- Carefully, pour the liquid into small pots and allow them to set. The oils and butters will solidify once exposed to the air as the mixture cools.
- Finally, tightly screw on the caps and store the plastic jars in a cool, dry place.
You may add color to the lip gloss by putting a drop or two of food coloring. Add some glitter, which you can buy in sachets at any art supplies store. The butters and oils in the mix take care of keeping lips moisturized and shiny night and day. This lip balm is also useful as a beauty cream to prevent skin dryness during summer and winter.